Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Gion Festival

Today I suffered the agony of extreme humidity and pushy old people at Kyoto's Gion Matsuri, one of the most famous festivals in Japan. It's actually about a month long celebration but today was parade day, or Yama-boko Junkō. The floats are enormous, pulled by 14 to 40 people using big-ass ropes, whose pulling is coordinated by fan-wielding chanters. At the top of the floats sit rows of musicians, children dressed in traditional costumes... and some random guys chilling on the roof, for no apparent reason. I had a coveted "corner position" so I got to watch the slightly awkward process of making the floats do a 45 degreee turn.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Becki said...

Sweet. I've always wanted to go to the Gion festival, although you're right about it Kyoto in the summer it's one of the grossest, stickiest places to be.


BTW I figured out that internet thing. As I thought, it's still in my name so we need to get it changed.

1:50 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home