Friday, November 18, 2005

Hauru no ugoku shiro


Woot! I am the proud owner of "Howl's Moving Castle" on DVD. What an awesome movie. I liked it as much or more than the book (which admittedly, I was a little bit disappointed with). I loved the backgrounds- Miyazaki's films have these amazingly verdant landscapes. When I watch his movies I can almost smell the grass. His recent films have been veering further away from the whole wisdom-of-nature rhetoric that dominates some of his earlier films, most notably in "Princess Mononoke" and "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds". Not to say I am dismissing these films as environmentalist sermonizing, I enjoyed them quite a lot, but I really loved the bizarre premises of his last two films, which weren't constricted by a man-versus-nature debate. I also felt the heroes in some of his previous films were a little too flawless; purity is admirable in the abstract but freaking BORING in a work of fiction. But that's my opinion. I always root for the bad guys anyways :P

*** On a side note, I feel all my expensive university-educated brainpower has been slipping away from me in the last year. I need to use more big fancy words! Keep my synapses firing!

6 Comments:

Blogger Becki said...

Can I borrow it when you're done with it? It sounds pretty frickin' sweet.

9:25 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I bought that DVD too! I used all my day watching this movie today.

1:05 a.m.  
Blogger kumagoro said...

Dude, you can borrow my movie. You didn't seem really excited when I was foaming at the mouth about pre-odering it. Azusa, you have good taste in music AND movies!

9:47 p.m.  
Blogger Fancy L said...

So you are now having conversations by one of the slowest means possible.

Don't you live together? Wouldn't saying "Hey, can I borrow that?" and "Yeah, here." be a much faster way to communicate?


Also, a nice fancy word is formaldehyde. Use that.

1:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

howl?!?!!? i must have it *sigh* over here on the rainy west coast there is no release date in site *cries*

and i do not get to go see harry potter number 4 until exams are over i suspect...woe is me

e-mail me soon!!!

6:35 a.m.  
Blogger kumagoro said...

Listen Luke, Becki and I are often several feet apart AND separated by a wall. Sometimes I can't hear what she's saying, comprende? Gosh! I mean---formaldehyde!

10:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home